Wednesday 25 June 2014

More trackbed down and tarting up the bridge supports

I have had a productive week or so slowly getting the railway done with more track down and a start made on the station. The pictures, as always, tell the story.

The station area needs to be started and I have put my buildings, both finished and unfinished, in place to see what it will look like.

I started laying out the station area

There is enough room for all the buildings, I hope to make a start on the engine shed soon.

I track level view. The signal box is down a hole that will be filled when the platform is laid

The station building, toilet and bench. Another bench will be ordered soon.
 The trestle bridge end supports look a bit stark as they are only concrete blocks. I purchased a bag of decorative slate and I am using that to disguise them.
Pieces of slate were chosen and stuck in place using out door water proof mastic.
The slate has now been grouted with cement. Once dry it will get a wire brushing and wash to clean it up.
Whilst on holiday we visited the National Slate Museum in Llanberis and I purchased a slate sheet. I am now cutting it up and splitting it to make paving slabs to line the platform edge and also to create a base for the station waiting room.
The miniature slabs are laid in place to ensure I have enough

simple tools to make the slabs
A small section of trackbed has been laid

The track bed in and waiting for track.

There we go, much better. The slab under the point towards the top of the picture has been removed as it broke when I put weight on it plus it was in the wrong place.
I finish on a oops moment. Both a check rail from one of the points and a buffer stop succumbed to my clumsiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment