Thursday 19 June 2014

A bridge to nowhere

I enjoyed my holiday in Wales and am now rapidly coming to the end of my second week which I have used to get some work done in the garden including cutting the grass, which was really long, and getting the trestle bridge in place.

The completed bridge ready for treating.
 The bridge finally came together in the workshop. The only difference between the final one and the one shown previously is that this is one pier shorter as with the other one I would not have had room for the curve that it will lead onto.

The bridge with two coats of creosote in position on its support bricks
Once given a couple of generous coats of creosote (light brown) the bridge was offered up to its end support block and used to level up the support blocks which were cemented in. They will eventually be covered in gravel.


Installation complete
Once the support blocks had dried the support block for the far end was installed and, once dry, the bridge was fixed to it and the track laid.

No. 1 poses on the bridge with an inspection special
I then had to get a train out just to pose it on the bridge. No 1 'Amy' pulled my two Fendyke coaches around the whole of the current track length with no problems. Looked good on the bridge as well.

Trying out some landscaping
I have tried putting a few rocks around the ends of the bridge. The idea is that the concrete blocks will be covered in miniature bricks to make them look like support piers and the stones will be cemented in place with plants around them and gravel under and behind the bridge.

Thats it for now, hopefully I will be able to get some more concrete blocks and get on with the layout next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment